M +61416280461

Partners & Family Visa

Partner visa Subclass 820/801, Subclass 309/100

Partner visa Subclass 820/801, Subclass 309/100
This visa allows an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to sponsor their spouse or de-facto partner to enter or remain in Australia on the basis of their relationship. To qualify for a Partner Visa you must provide evidence that the relationship between you is genuine and continuing through your financial, living, social and personal arrangements. It is generally a two-stage process with the grant of an initial temporary visa for 2 years followed by grant
of a permanent visa, if your relationship is continuing. Exemptions to this 2 year wait period exist for some couples depending on the length of the relationship and/or have a dependent child (other than a step-child). A partner visa can be applied from within or outside of Australia. For applicants applying from within Australia, a Bridging
Visa A with full work rights will be granted to allow you to remain in Australia with your partner during processing. Current processing times are ranging from 20 to 26 months.
DHA Application Fee: AUD $7,715

Changes to the Partner Visa Program -Sponsorship – Pending

The Migration Amendment (Family Violence and Other Measures) Bill 2016, passed by Parliament on 28 November 2018, provides a framework to separate Sponsorship assessments from visa application assessments. Under these changes a
Sponsor will first need to lodge an application be ‘approved’ before their partner can lodge their visa application. The Sponsor will be assessed against tighter thresholds of character requirements and their ability to support their partner financially and with accommodation. Further regulation and system changes however are yet to come into effect and so this has not been implemented by DHA. As there is no time-frame given for the Bills implementation lodgement procedures remain the same for the foreseeable future.

Changes to the Registration of De facto Relationships

You able to register your de facto relationship in some Australian States and Territories. Please contact Kristin for assistance

Family Violence

If your relationship has broken down due to family violence there are provisions in place that, with evidence, the visa applicant may still be eligible for the grant of their partner visa. Please do not hesitate to contact Kristin for assistance.

New Zealand Citizen (Family Relationship) visa

This is a temporary visa for New Zealand citizens to assist their family members/partners to travel to and live with them in Australia.

Prospective Marriage (or Fiancée) visa Subclass 300

This visa allows a partner to enter Australia to marry their sponsoring fiancée. This visa is applied for from outside of Australia and you must enter Australia and marry within 9 months of visa grant. After your marriage, an application for a Partner visa is to be made.

DHA Application Fee: AUD7,715 *Note you will still have to pay a visa application charge when you apply for a partner visa following marriage.

Practice Areas
Need help?

Contact Kristin today.

Phone: M +61416280461
Email: klrmigrationlaw@bigpond.com

Mon – Fri: 09:00 -17:00

Contact Us

We're here to help you

Call Now : M +61416280461 and make an appointment with Kristin.